In a bid towards electric mobility for the masses and to cater to the rapidly deteriorating environment issues, Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation has initiated work towards getting the city its own fleet of all electric buses. Coming under the banner of Ahmedabad Janmarg Ltd or AJL, a ‘Special Purpose Vehicle’ by aforementioned Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation, an order of 300 all electric buses has been bagged by Tata Motors. This makes it the biggest single shot order of all electric buses in the country.
This order of 300 electric buses further extends the leader position that the Pune based Automotive behemoth has in the market segment. In fact, till date, under the famed FAME I scheme Tata Motors has already delivered significantly more than 200 all electric buses. This effectively translates into a 60+ percent market share in the rapidly growing Electric Bus segment in the country. As for the just bagged 300 bus order from AJL, the electric bus model from Tata Motors will be the Tata Ultra Urban 9/9 Electric Bus. These electric buses by Tata will are destined to arrive under the OPEX model and for the same Tata is also expected to provide thorough infrastructure for fast charging of the buses as well as other support systems for the project.
Commenting on this significant achievement by Tata Motors, Girish Wagh, President, Commercial Vehicles Business Unit, Tata Motors, said, "Tata Motors We are delighted to have bagged this tender, which is the largest of its kind till date of electric buses in the country. It is Tata Motors dedication to play a proactive role in the incorporation of electrification drive in mainstream that is going to prove beneficial for all stakeholders involved. Tata motors is on target in its development of electric traction system for hybrid as well as pure electric vehicles for the masses as well as for individual owners.
He further added, "The Tata Ultra Electric Buses have been developed indigenously and offer superior design that suits our conditions well along with the best-in-class features. Tata Motors will continue to support the Government and the people of the country to achieve the electric mobility infrastructure at the fastest pace and to make true of the commitment towards creating a sustainable future for India.”
The Tata Ultra Electric bus platform offers following advantages over conventional diesel-powered buses:
• Full Electric Drivetrain with Zero Emissions for clean air.
• Fatigue free driving without clutch and gear shifting.
• Welcoming and roomy interiors which can be customized as per the application and regulations.
• High safety and security with Intelligent Transport System (ITS) and Security Camera Network.
• New Generation Telematics for Efficient and user friendly vehicle maintenance and tracking.
• Passenger Information System with destination boards and audio announcements
• Stylized interior and exteriors with LED headlamps, plush interior lighting
• Utility provisions like charging ports, Wi-Fi Hotspot for On the Go Connectivity
• Regenerative braking for higher efficiency
The other relevant specs for the Tata Ultra Electric Bus platform are the likes of a:
• PMAC Motor with around 145Kw on tap
• An operating range of 0-2500rpm
• Suspension setup for passenger comfort – Weveller Suspension (Front) and Air Suspension (Rear)
• Braking via a Dual circuit full air S-cam brake with ABS with 325mm Drum brakes all around.
• Charging Time of either 6-7 hours with slow charging or 2.5-3 hours with fast charging